Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Issue Essay Possibility/Day 8

Considering the fact that this essay will be 8-10 pages and needs 8-15 sources, I need to come up with something I'll find interesting...otherwise, this essay will NOT get done or at least done well. So what do I like? Sports. I'm not the biggest sports guru, where I know every player, every rule, or every statistic in every sport...but I do love to play and watch them. So I figured, why not write about them?
jkhkj
I'm thinking about writing about international sport competitions (perhaps the Olympics or World Cup) and whether or not their economic status, political status, or location "predetermine" their ranking or outcome. Yes, some of it does depend on the actual athlete, but does more money make it easier for them to get better equipment or fulfill their needs? Does a prospering, or at least functioning, government provide a better atmosphere for their athletes? Does location matter depending on the sport or can there be other alternatives (ex: Jamaican bobsled team)?
kjsd
That's the only thing I could come up with. I hope it works, sounds interesting or at least is doable. Thoughts? 






Short term goals for this month and why.
klj
Let's see...short term goals for the month of March (and it's the first day for that matter--how appropriate to write down all my goals!).
  1. Read the Book of Mormon every day--I've always struggled reading the BOM every day and it'll help me stay on top of my BOM reading for class. 
  2. Exercise at least 3 days a week--has to happen anyway, for the sake of overall fitness health, stress-level, and family pictures in July. 
  3. Get passing grades on my tests/quizzes--who likes failing grades?
  4. Study at least 2 hours per class per week (except for PDBio...time doubled)--gotta study hard to get the good scores.
  5. Keep my room clean...or at least presentable--yeah, that's been a struggle ever since Alison N. moved out. It's gotta stop, that's for sure. 
NEXT STOP: Day 9 - Something you're proud of in the past few days.


PS: It's Justin Bieber's birthday today. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow I love the international sports topic! That is really unique. I think that to a certain extent coming from a wealthier country does give you a leg up on the competition, so it will be interesting to hear what you have to say about it. And I'm sure you will find plenty of awesome sources to use in your paper, it is a controversial topic in the sports world.

    jcm

    ReplyDelete
  2. After talking with you about this, I feel like you have a really good idea! You just need to decide which direction you are going to take with it and maybe explore some possible solution which you're paper would benefit from.

    ER

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input guys! I definitely still need to think about certain details (like what Liz talked about--my direction), but I hope it all works out. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete