Monday, October 11, 2010

Mothers Know Just What to Say...

Well today was another long day. Add homesickness to the mix (yes, I had another moment), it was a very slow, mellow, half-empty day. That is until my mom's "spidy" senses kicked in...looks like I'm not good at hiding my emotions. She could tell something was wrong...and she knew exactly what to say. One thing she said that stuck out was when she said that "failure and struggles are part of the plan. If we didn't have them, we'd be perfect, and if we were perfect, we wouldn't need the Savior. Everyone has struggles and failures; everyone needs the Savior.". College failures--my test scores--and struggles--living on my own, eating right, exercising, studying the perfect amount, having "me" time, having a social life--have been quite a burden. But as my mom reminded me, everyone goes through this in some way at college. All this time, I thought my mom was the epitome of college perfection...I never heard about her failures...only her crazy roommates! haha. I didn't hear about my dad's either, or my cousin, Lindsey's, or my several aunts' and uncles', or really anyone's failures or struggles. I thought I was just alone--the only one to have failed a test (at least in my family) or gotten a test that wasn't an A or high B. It all sounds silly, thinking about my feelings and typing it all down...but to be honest, that's how I felt. But my mom reminded me something I'd lost sight of. No one's perfect. And I'm not expected to be perfect. Turns out, she wasn't either, which to be honest, set my mind at ease also...She simply told me that whenever I feel that way to just turn to the Savior and "stand in holy places, even if that holy place is in myself". I hope that when I'm a mom I'll have that ability to somehow know exactly what to say...love you Mom!

Other less depressing sides of my day (haha), I got to spend an hour and a half coordinating visiting teaching companions and their sisters...you'd think it would be easy, but its not. When you hold stewardship over people, you have suddenly a lot more pressure about their salvation and overall well-being haha. I also had Family Home Evening (or as we call it, Home Evening Group...I'm more of a fan calling it FHE, but whatever haha) and we played poker. I am not good! I lost all my cookies and Andes Mints...oh well.

Agenda for tomorrow: classes (obviously), visit the nursing home, pick my bundle for next semester...it will be another long, busy day. But that's college for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment