Friday, August 20, 2010

Tupperware, Tents and Trampolines

Even though only a few days passed since my last blog, so much has happened! So I guess I'll start from the moments after I made my first blog post. I was just relaxing with my cousins. My mom and my aunt Karen had already gone to Education Week at BYU. My uncle Bob had already left for work. My cousin, Josh, had gone to his job. Emily was gone (she did a night hike up to Mt. Timpanogos...I think) and was going to come back later in the morning. That meant that only Katie, Jared, Jacob, Ali, Justin, and I were at the house. But eventually Emily joined the home-bound ranks and we all just went about our morning business.

Not long after Em got home, my mom called and told us that we should help my cousin Lindsey and her husband, Kaleb. They had to move all their stuff into a new apartment. Not too hard right? Well, after Katie's ortho appointment, and Lindsey measuring someone's driveway for Kaleb's job, we finally headed towards the apartment. A bunch of lifting, organizing and disinfecting later, we hit a stopping point around 7 o' clock.

That's when Linds told Kaleb they had to meet up with friends...and that we had to stay at the apartment until Mom and Aunt Karen finished Education Week for the day--"around 7:30 at the Marriott Center" Lindsey said. We were told to wait in her old apartment until they called for me to pick them up...pick them up? Is she serious? I was to go to BYU campus and navigate my way through the streets of the campus I've only been on one time to pick them up? A little panicked, I was relieved to find out Katie knew the way and let Lindsey and Kaleb go off to their next destination.

We were pretty calm and okay with the whole situation...that is until we found out that to get on the computer you needed the manager password. The password Lindsey forgot to mention. I looked at the time on my cellphone. By then it was around 7:15...might as well leave to pick up Mom and Karen right? So we all headed in the car and I drove off. This drive proved to be more stressful than when I was trying to learn how to drive back in my permit days. Not only was I driving in a new place, my "co-pilot", Katie, couldn't tell her right from her left and Ali kept screaming "we're gonna die" about every minute or so. When we finally got to the Marriott Center, it was a little past 8, my nerves were raw, I was hungry and my patience was just about empty. When I called to let my mom know where we were, I discovered that Education Week wasn't over...the last lesson ended at 9:20. This meant that we had to wait until then to leave. And to make it worse, they weren't at the Marriott Center...they were at the Wilkinson Student Center. My mind was sarcastically saying at this point, "Welcome to BYU campus, where we love to keep you hostage".

After finding a new parking spot closer to the Wilkinson Student Center, we found our moms waiting at the cafe area. My mom handed us some money, and with my $8 in hand, I bolted to the shortest line in the room, only to satisfy my hunger pains with Japanese take-out (that was nowhere near as good as my Japanese grandmother's, but beggars can't be choosers). Dinner ended, so Katie, Ali, and I went through the bookstore, where Katie and Ali bought (in my mind) candy that was too expensive. That only killed about 15 minutes, so we left and sat in an open seating area. Eventually 9:20 came around and so did our moms. We finally left BYU and got home around 10:30.

The next morning, my cousin, Brittany, and I decided to go to Education Week for a few hours. The lessons were pretty good and the speakers were great which made walking up and down BYU's freakishly tall and long stairs worth it, one of which is called "God's Stair-Master"--even if we both had lung burn and "jello" legs by the end of it. I joked with Brittany saying, "if I don't have nice legs by the end of my first freshman semester, I'm going to be so upset".

When we left BYU, we headed back towards my Aunt Vickie and Uncle Chris's house. I stayed there my first night in Utah and was eager to see them again. A short visit became hours and by the time evening hit, Brittany's boyfriend, Noti, was at the house, as well as my aunt's family. By the time they left, it would've been a pain to drop me off back at Aunt Karen and Uncle Bob's. So my other cousins, Jacob, Noah and Brayden set up a tent on their trampoline, grabbed a bunch of pillows and sleeping bags and slept outside in the tent on the tramp. It was surprisingly comfortable and fun. Ali (there are two Ali's--a Karen/Bob Ali and a Vickie/Chris Ali) was just getting over a sickness so she stayed inside.

Now all of us in the tent, except Jacob, woke up from our sleep. I'm not sure what the rest of my day has in store, but if it was just as fun as yesterday or as eventful as the day before, I'm sure it will be "blog worthy" and I'll let you know.

Peace out boy scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment