Friday, August 27, 2010

"Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve"

This is one of the most inspiring phrases I've ever heard and it just so happens to be the BYU motto. I love it. It makes you want to make a difference in the world, big and small, a change for good. I guess that's why I wanted to be a speech therapist (or just recently added, special education teacher--thank you David O. McKay School of Education for having both of them in the same section). I want to make a difference in the lives of young children, when developing social and academic skills are crutial. I want to inspire them to dream a size bigger than what people expect from them...kids that are slow mentally or talk differently and stuggle. To me, the size of a paycheck won't matter--the growth and happiness of a child will.

I've been thinking a lot about my future lately...I suppose college can do that to a person, weird haha. Today the biggest moment for me was when we visited our "schools" that hold our majors in NSO. My lovely school is the David O. McKay School of Education. President McKay said "I think it must be apparent to every thinking mind that the noblest of all professions is that of teaching, and that upon the effectiveness of that teaching hangs the destiny of nations.". That quote was, in a way, my "A-ha!" moment. It's everything I want to do and be. Brother Brad Wilcox (one of the professors in the school) said, "I'm so glad you aren't here to 'enter to learn, go forth to earn'." haha It's so true though. For professions as crutial as teaching, they don't get paid very well. But in my opinion, teaching is a great sacrifice (financially) but also one of the most rewarding professions. I never considered teaching, but I guess now I will be, just in a different way.

I'm very excited for my future. In my mind, there will be nothing better than helping the lives of young children. I hope it all works out. Keep your fingers crossed that it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment